#GOVERNANCE | Tasks, time accounting, categories

Time tracking will offer an estimation of each process and requires tasks set.

Here we will discuss about time tracking and its category;

Follow up on civicwise.slack.com #governance channel discussion: “I’m wondering about our timesheet system. I would like to ask you a suggestion about task categories. Like: meeting, writing, mailing etc…”

In my opinion, due to the complexity of the project and its wide landscape I would suggest to incorporate this into a task tracking system.

The number of activities is and will be rapidly increasing (including more administrative, operational task). We should be able to keep this visible, gathering overall statuses overview on on going activities (i.e. dashboards of what is on-going, its blockers, etc)

Another potential advantage is that having a list of “assignable” tasks can help to direct contributions: a sort of pending todo that (new and old) civicwisers can pick up and work on (letting all knowning the time spent, what has been done, etc etc). This effort can be later be transformed into knownledge base.

Every tool for time tracking (even exel) requires to insert a brief description, the effort; making this more reusable information will gain value over time;

Finally we might be able to determine the expected execution time of a comparable civic project (similar size/kind/complexity).

Structure of projects depends on what figures we want to easy to report. Nevertheless I was thinking that identifying the task and time per method step can be interesting

i.e. #OPENING (categories tasks, meetings, communication, tech etc etc); eventually the need of a general area where to identify and charge projectwise activities.

I think this make really good sense @levm. Also if we can have all practical information on what has been happening on the meetings and where people can contribute, in one single place, I think people will find it easier to participate. Maybe it will be easiest in Excel or we can consider another software such as wunderlist. Below copy/past of slack conversation on the topic:

@jonasmedellin wrote: Just a quick thought. Do we have any summaries of the meetings @urbanohumano @fausto? Thought it could be a good idea, to easily fall back into the discussion in case you cannot attend. Not talking about taking minutes - But maybe just an overview of topics discussed, what came out of the discussion and what specific tasks people could help out with?

@Fausto wrote: You will find summaries in the blog or links to key documents. It also specifies roles that people have been provided. Maybe we could specifically create space for summaries&tasks where people can find them easier?

@Jonasmedellin wrote: Thanks. Yes, I think that would be a good idea @Fausto to provide a clean and easy overview of what is going on and where they can contribute

Tracking the time spent by any of us doing whatever is important but I don’t think that Excel (too broad) neither Wunderlist (only check list) are the right platforms where doing it. Have any of you worked with Trello?

By the way, I knew few days ago a project that can be inspirational for us. It is called Assembly and it is a platform where finding the professionals required to bring an idea related with technology and innovation into reality. It’s main idea is “Turning great ideas into products” while ours is bringing collective intelligence into urban renewal and placemaking processes.

I think we could learn from them how to divide and organize a project. I am not an expert in organizational processes, but it is obvious than within any project there are different roles that are created depending on knowledge/experience in the field and on the implication.

We could start thinking about operational aspects for future projects looking at our own project. So, apart from carers of areas there should be section leaders (web construction, institutional/operations, design process, etc).

Agree with using Assembl. Regarding being aw to exchange resources such as time, I would recommend using Makerfox, which was tested successfully to co-produce an unconference week and won last years European Social Innovation Competition. I know the founder @matjahu if you want to discuss the possibilities.

I haven´t used it, but it seems a tool that can be considered with is not as limited as Wunderlist. what is your experience with it @SitoVeracruz?

@Jonas As a matter of fact I don’t have any experience with it. I didn’t mean to use it but to create a platform similar to it but with a different approach because I had the idea that Assembly is only for Tech projects while we are focusing on other areas.

@noelhatch Regarding Makerfox, I don´t see how could it help us since we need something more complex than a service/products exchange platform. What do you think?

Just my opinion on the matter:

Assembly is very interesting portal, that can be idd ispirational to us (as mentioned by @SitoVeracruz); using it for our purpose (mainly the technical part) the outsource to assembly platform can be a challenge:
the risk is the fractal idea on ideation and testing within Civicwise®; on the point would be required a strong Civicwiser leadership/supervision or inclusion of assemblyer into civicwiser?

I agree with @SitoVeracruz on Makerfox but might be another place where we outsource the implementation of our vision.

I would suggest nevertheless to have a portal discussion on here (where to discuss outsourcing and platform design) and focus on the task/time accounting.

Tasks,timeaccounting,cats

On this regard, I’d like to highlight tools like (also hope that maybe the audience will spot other possibilities):

Main criteria would be to have a task lists (open/visible/public) people taking over ownership on those tasks (newcomers alongside with existing members with time) and updating/documenting/resolving those (including log work).

The documentation that will come out (and the time spent) will be a very valuable knownledge base.

Just my opinion.

Additional finding:

https://www.redcrittertracker.com/home.aspx

Asana time tracking integration: http://codelovers.github.io/asana-time-track/

Slack in steroids: https://glip.com/

Adding https://www.producteev.com/features for its comparable set of feature to asana but with a price planning more advantageous for us (free for more users)

Still I rather think that hosting openproject will give us benefit in long run.

Anyone?

@levm has there been any progress in this part? Since last time, I have had a good experience using Asana as a collaborative tool. Only minus is that it is paid if you have more than 15 members, but I have contacted them and seem open to give discounts to NGOs etc.
I haven’t tried the time tracking part though. Any experience with that?

@Jonas; this topic has been put on hold. Was bit too early to introduce at that time.

Concerning Asana, I was able to use it for small projects, I do not known the scalability with a wider audience. The time management was not a concern, so usage was not enforced (and therefore … :slight_smile: ). Nevertheless seems ASANA is not much meant to do time tracking hence the plugins (so how much integration, reports, forecast?)

Maybe we can consider ad hoc pm tools (one for smaller groups, one for big projects) cause ASANA was pretty ok but maybe not adapted to all situations (imho).

Now the above is an opinion without coffe… going to take one

levm

Ah I see. Getting outdated here. Anyway I agree. Asana would (maybe) not suit if it is for an overall CivicWise global as it will be too much information and we would need to pay for it, but for local projects and communication or for the more administrative part of CivicWise, I find that it could be a quite good solution.