#OPENING | How we should start a Civic Design Process?

Here we want to start a discussion about the Civic Design Method we are shaping collaboratively.

Hi guys!
Sharing some thoughts about the Method - work in progress.
Please have a look at this google drawing.
Feel free to edit. cheers!
Rita

Hello Rita, very nice take. I uploaded into the shared google drive some similar preliminary works on Method, less evolved but eventually a contrib:

Ciao

Yey ! :- D many things in common!
Many thanks, Levm.
I will definitely have a look at your thoughts with more detail!

Was also thinking to compare it with Design Thinking and human centered design
or other processes of problem-solving like IDEO [manuals][1].

Question:
Is there a place that I can read about how/why the 10 steps method was built?
Are there practical examples where it was used?

Cheers!

Hi, I’m still not very familiar with the proposed civic design process, other than that it has 10 steps.

I liked the graphics you are sharing, and I found the document for the design process, and I think maybe the graphs could be incorporated someway into the process document?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GrIPCn6KWIXgXBO0yuRtb61P48COGJv8YD7A5MBgCpg/edit

This way the conversation will happen both in a textual and visual fashion. Plus, we could maybe manage to keep those in sync? For instance, I see the document includes an “impact” phase that is absent in the mapping of steps that was published.

Cheers!

Hello @martinszy
thanks for the positive feedback and the valid points.

I will try to give you context:
Incorporating into the document is important, but I agree totally with the importance on nomenclature alignment
one of the reason why things are not in synch is because discussion is just started and to give you an example “impact” phase is currently partly (not only) related on one discussion that started on top of the mapping.

Ciao

@rita

Interesting! extending the mapping can be a curios exercise. The link provided did not show up; are you referring to this?

Concerning your question, @urbanohumano can be of help (let’s see also if he get notified by this referral :stuck_out_tongue: )

YEs, it was that one!
It´s a challenge to manage and catch up with so many information and sources!..
But I´m also going to go through the material we already have in platform to see if I catch up better with what´s been thought until now. :- )

Hello, it’s my first time here… but I’m strongly motivated whit this topic and with civicwise… I’want to share a document that maybe it’s interesting in some ways… I think will be interesting to discuss this concept of civic innovation…

wow! the graphics are really nice! thank you so much for your effort!!!
I think they will be really helpful for describing the method to others.

As follow up of slack chat.

I’d like to share with you another diagram I did but was not really convinced. Aim was to show sub-iteration between main topics
it was also an attempt was to identify where to re-include new people without disrupting a cycle iteration (a quick iteration = short achievement of part of final vision)
and it was in the step missing IMHO in the CW steps
the change mngt/re-inclusion to happen at the end of the iteration delivery

quick draft:

I am not really sure about what depuration opportunities mean…

Ciao Ana,

is a mapping between the Civicwise project, general project management and IT open architecture.

The depuration belong to CW method; this is available in the shared folder under METHOD folder

, while the opportunities is linked to Open Architecture (TOGAF) method (is before the implementation/migration plan,. once you have worked towards the architecture vision implementation and you start to check how to plan, where there might be synergies in incremental approach etc etc).

Hi guys, last week the London team worked on a toolkit/ template for a project. It can be used as a reference point for the local circles. I will explain how we got there and how it would work during the hangout tonight. If you want to preview it, go and check it out in Drive.
Looking fw to the discussion tonight

Hi everyone!

Here is a recap about the CW project toolkit we discussed yesterday during the hangout. If you haven’t checked it out yet, you can find it here.
This is a first draft and everyone is warmly invited to contribute to improve it. See more details on how you can help at the bottom of the message.

WHY

The idea of suggesting this ‘toolkit’ came out of the several conversations within the London team about the urgency to develop a practical tool that serves as a first canvas of how (method) the CW community will support civic projects. It was refreshing to hear that the Barcelona circle felt the same need as well.
Several people mentioned the challenge they are facing when trying to explain what CW can offer to potential project promoters or partners so hopefully this will help conveying the message.

On top of that, it will be a useful starting tool for local circles. Given the different frameworks that every country and city has, every local team will need to adapt the general structure to the specificities of their own country - you can see examples of things typical of UK like the ‘neighbourhood forum’. I believe that having a structured first-task will be useful to strengthen the team and provide a strong sense of belonging - Orsola’s phycology :smile:

WHAT

The scheme should be pretty self-explanatory: the arrows represent the different steps of a project, the vertical lines are the starting point and outcome of each phase, in orange is an idea of how to map what is needed for every stage. We tried to categorise the different type of resources to help organising them but please suggest any other you think is missing.

The current form suggest a linear dependency between the different stages. As correctly highlighted by @ana, this might be a limit as every project will follow a slightly different path and timing, which I agree upon. We therefore need to think about a type of diagram/ structure that will be more flexible with the order of the phases. @saverio was suggesting a circle but please feel free to think outside the box and come up with other ideas.

If there are parts you don’t understand or you have specific questions/ doubts, watch the 1.30h hangout! Just kidding :smile: Post them here tagging my name and I’ll reply.

HOW CAN YOU HELP

1. suggest changes/ edits/ improvement for the structure, steps, content, type of diagram.

2. Suggest a name for the document itself. Domenico liked toolkit, Saverio was suggesting canvas, for example.

3. Volunteer to be involved in the creation of the final document once the first round of suggestions have been made. It will be good to have a small team committed to 1-2 sessions of team work for a couple of hours. If the people are located in different cities, the meetings will be hangouts.

Hope this makes sense and I look forward to reading all you contributions, ideas, feedbacks.

Have a great weekend!

Well done @orsola! I think this could be a useful canvas for any new project or activity!
I think would be useful if we can add for any step some specific tool we can use and maybe come reference to a real project.

Hello everyone,

The updated version of the Project Toolkit @urbanohumano and I worked on last Monday in Paris can be found here.

We took on board all the considerations and feedback on the previous one and came up with a simpler, 3-stages process (THINK - DO - ROLL).
The Action plan, Project delivered and Impact are the goals for the each stage. Every stage then includes three phases. Every phase has a goal, which is explained in the box.

Apart from the better visual impact, the main difference with the first version of the toolkit is that only the stages have temporary dependency, meaning that Think comes first, followed by the Do and ending with the Roll one.
The sub-phases, instead, can be applied flexibly in time. Within the Think phase, for example, you might start with Listening, then do some Brainstorming and Planning, then go back to Listening to verify that your results corresponds to what the area really needs before you come up with the Action plan. This should allow more flexibility to better adapt the canvas to different projects, environments and stage of project development.

Reflecting on the Resources needed for every phase, we separated some them so hopefully they are a bit clearer now.

Speaking of terminology, we were struggling in finding good words for the Brainstorming and Consolidate phase and for the Project Delivered goal. We think they sounds a bit too formal so if you have any idea for an alternative name, leave a comment here.

As always, this is a collaborative work-in-progress, so please have a look a it, tell us what you think and if there is any change or addition that’s needed.

Have a good weekend and don’t forget to read tomorrow’s blog post about what happened this week while you enjoy your breakfast :smile:

The project Toolkit is very interesting. I like the simplification co-existing with the complexity of the method.

This duality is very important in my opinion:

• a simplified/consolidated view fo a better and more immediate understanding of the method
  • but sustained in longer terms by a thought through method (more comprehensive and exhaustive).

Nice.

Agree @levm. I think the exhaustive part is the expanded list of resources. The idea is that once a geographic circle has done that work, there will be a comprehensive library of information, documents, tools, etc. to help project promoters throughout the whole project cycle. It will also explain in details what every stage is aimed at and the breakdown in phases.