#VALUES | First Proposal for a CivicWise Principles Chart

I would like to share a first proposal for our Principles Chart.
For this proposal we used as a Reference the Value Chart of OuiShare > http://ouishare.net/en/about/values

Territory Situated
We think the territory it’s our starting point. Any member, any project and knowledge should take in account its territorial situation. Our activity it’s constantly situated.

Glocality
Amazing things happen locally. We share and use global knowledge to promote local actions.

Physical / Digital Hybridization
We think reality is Hybrid. Our actions, projects and knowledge take in account this condition and use it to improve its impact.

Transparency
As an open organization, it is our priority for everyone to understand what we do, how we work and how we are funded. As we grow, our aim is to disclose all information in a reader-friendly fashion.

Openness
We strongly believe that a culture of openness has many benefits. CIvicWise is a non-hierarchical organization, which anyone can join and contribute to. Decision-making is based on peer governance. What we produce is open source, making it easy to reuse, remix and share alike.

Inclusion
CivicWise benefits from having members across the globe and from very different backgrounds. Any person that consent with and wish to support the CivicWise mission and principles is welcomed.

Permanent Beta
CivicWIse is an ongoing experiment. With curiosity and an open mindset, we strive to continuously try new things and challenge our assumptions. Release early, fail often, learn by doing and iterate.

Feedback
Regular and personal feedback is critical to sustaining the participative dynamic of CivicWise and enabling everyone to learn and progress. This is why we praise valuable contributions, celebrate achievements and encourage constructive criticism.

Independence
We are happy to work with companies on individual projects, but do not enter exclusive partnerships of any kind that could compromise our independence. You may not like this at first, but in the long term you’ll see the benefits.

Impact
Our mission is stated as “build and nurture civic innovation and a better civic engagement ”. Maximum impact in doing this is what ultimately guides our actions.

#VALUES | Definition, debate, selection

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

I like most and I would like to contribute to certain items (hopefully more contrib will takle all other principles).

Principle Easy-to-use

Description
CivicWise is (also) an easy to use partecipative-projects development method. Starting up complex (participative and non) projects is a difficult task, a method to guide a group within the realization of such a challenge should be easy to follow and use. It should help to asses/achieve the project from the opening, idealization, delivery and building providing a methodology that cover the full life cycle and relevant aspect, in a professional fashion.
Implications:
accesses, roles/govenrnance, principles should be meaningfull, comprehensive but being able to be tailored to a specific case.
Resources (i.e. big data analisys, social media infrastructure) should be made available to all groups (most of them will not be able to spawn a big data project while definitivelly benefit from it).

Shared information/data (base for inclusion)

Description
Users have access to information that is necessary for performance of their respective tasks. Therefore, information is shared between different projects/groups areas.
Rationale
Necessary access to accurate information is essential to improve the quality and efficiency of the decision-making process of projects . Shared information promotes better decisions because they are less dependent of less-reliable sources (i.e. the value of experience of other Civicwisers)
Implications
All projects belonging to CivicWise are required to share information of their projects to the community (TBC)

Principle “Fostering Inclusion, involvement”

Description
New engagement should be able to pick into the process without concerns, easily.
Implication
Risk of inclusion is linked to disruption of deliveries, iterations. A method for inclusion to involve new people and their ideas should be elaborated to offer people the possibility to jump on board and re-design, contribute to the vision (reinforced by data sharing/accessibility principles)

Interoperability (government/institutions/researchers/investors)

Description
Software must follow established standards that promote data, application, and technology interoperability.
Rationale
Open systems will be used where feasible, single-interoperable, and cost effective - rather than proprietary solutions. Standards help ensure coherence and facilitate integration with other groups, projects and institutions guaranteeing to CivicWise independence towards partners/providers/memebrs.

Hello @levm Thanks for your comments. I find really interesting the Inclusion-involvement and interoperability principles. I’m not sure about the first one you called Easy-to-use. I think that one it’s too specific.

I think it’s a good foundation but in my opinion there is a bit of jargon we could simplify to make it sound a bit more friendly and accessible.

Looking at the specific categories, I am wondering whether the open- source model shouldn’t be separated from the openness as open accessibility towards new members. That way we would emphasise the role of the platform both as an open community (input) AND an open-source library that will represent the biggest source of open data for civic urbanism (output).

This are my suggestions. There is a lot of language simplification, some reshuffling and a couple of new principles. Regarding the name, the more I think about it, the more I like values. Looking forward to tonight’s hangout.

Impact
Our mission is to promote civic innovation, inspire better civic engagement and foster more collaborative urbanism. We prioritise our actions according to this.

-NEW- Social mission
We are an independent, not-for-profit organisation with a clear social mission.

Territory Situated (is the word territory used as locality? could be use local instead?)
Locality is our focus. Any member, project and knowledge should reflect its territorial specificities. Our activity is constantly geographically located.

Glocality
Amazing things happen locally. We share and use global knowledge to promote local actions.

Physical / Digital Hybridization
We think reality is hybrid. Our actions, projects and knowledge take in account this condition and use it to improve its impact.
(I think the message is not very clear. I don’t understand what it means)

Inclusion
Having members across the globe with very different backgrounds is our main strength. Anyone aligned with our mission and principles is welcomed to join the community, contribute to its development and participate in our projects.

Transparency
It is our priority to clearly and openly communicate what we do, how we work and how we are funded.

Open governance
We strongly believe that a culture of openness has many benefits. We operate a flat-hierarchy and decision-making is based on peer governance.

Open source or open data
What we produce is open source, making it easy to replicate, remix and share. Our aim is to open up new data and information we produce in a reader-friendly way.
(what does a reader-friendly way mean? Readable for who? Tech developers, general public?!)

Permanent Beta
We ate an ongoing experiment. We strive to always try new things and challenge our assumptions with an open mind and curiosity.
Our motto: Release (or prototype?) early, fail often, always iterate and learn by doing.

Feedback
Constant critical feedback is the key to sustain our collaborative process and enable everyone to learn and move forward. This is why we praise valuable contributions, celebrate achievements and encourage constructive criticism.

Independence
We are open to work with companies on individual projects, but would not sign exclusive partnerships that could compromise our independence. We believe in long-term impact over short-term deals.

-NEW- Spirit
We work hard while having fun, laughing loud and encouraging a playful approach to urbanism.
(this is my personal take as I think it is important to add some fun to our cities)

I like this, the principles and the discussion.
This is a really needed debate, important in any project.

I suggest that to ensure the highest participation in this topic, we should
(1) Create an easliy editable document (google docs or hackpad)
(2) Focus on one principle at a time
(3) An assortment of presencial and virtual meetings and ansynchronical processes, which would include sending messages to all registered users to review the document.

Also, how many principles is good to have?
I claim that more than 10 becomes hard to manage, so I would suggest to summarize the most important and bundle several together.
Also, there are some principles that relate to how we work internally and others to the services we expect to provide, maybe these could be split up or clarified.
Moreover, there are some things, like fun, that can be stated but has to be practiced. The office in which I got most bored in my work life, had a very big “fun is more important than work” banner all over the wall.

Very valuable contribution @martinszy! You can see the current draft here .

We decided to post the suggestions here to be able to track all the different versions but tomorrow we will summarise all of them in the document on Google Docs.
Please feel free to copy/paste the current draft from Google Docs here and post it with all your edits/ comments/ etc. Tomorrow 10am-12pm (GMT+1) we will meet on hangout to discuss the suggestions and finalise the document. Will you join us?

I’m sorry, that time does not work for me, I’m in GMT-3 and I wake up late, plus tomorrow I have an all-day event.

Here my proposal:

Our Mission:
Collaborative urbanism & Civic Innovation
Our mission is to foster collective intelligence and collaborative urbanism, promoting civic innovation and inspire better civic engagement.

We are
Located: The local reality should be always our starting point.
Open: We strongly believe that a culture of openness has many benefits.
Inclusive: Anyone aligned with our mission and principles is welcomed to join the community.
Transparent: It is our priority to clearly and openly communicate what we do and how we work.
Distributed: We operate a flat-hierarchy and decision-making is based on peer governance.
Independent: We work and collaborate with other organizations but we always take care about our independence.

We believe in:
Glocality: We share and use global knowledge to promote local actions and local impact.
Physical & Digital (Hybridization): We understand the Digital sphere as an important realm of our reality and we use it to improve the physical one.
Long-term impact: We believe in long-term impact over short-term deals.
Open knowledge: We think the Knowledge is a commons.

Ciao All, my contrib (comments, additions, not real list) in the google document available in shared drive. Sorry hadn’t time to make more clear. Bit of a brain dump ;-P.

Generically, I’d like to propose to group certain items (openness = open source, open governance), Integration/decentralization/independence and make certain of them the explanation of the main principle.

After having read drafts and propositions a common pattern is that dualities are a defining CW attribute : glocal, hybrid digital/physical, centralized/decentralized, simplified with complexity.

I like this one and I’d like to add an implication : it might be our capacity to integrate projects (that will benefit of global CW resources), while maintaining their autonomy. A concrete example declination would be offering open interfaces (public and well documented) so that projects remain decentralized while iterated.

Fundamental item: I’d think of it as knowledge/(another declination of open)data/Information being shared; information/knowledge/data is a shared CW asset and can’t be owned by a project, circle or member.

Thank you for everyone who commented and suggested ideas!

This morning @urbanohumano, @Saverio_Massaro and myself summarised the previous documents and this is the final draft of the PRINCIPLES, which we decided to rename VALUES. As correctly pointed out by @Saverio_Massaro, a principle has a connotation of something you have to comply to, whereas a value is more a spirit/ attitude you share. We felt that the latter better fits CivicWise as a community.

The first considerable difference you’ll probably notice is how we simplified and shortened the structure. We decided to keep the document as simple and straight-to-the-point as possible to provide a quick overview about CivicWise.
As much as we believe the Values document needs to be short, we also think it’s important to provide a more detailed explanation of what exactly every value means in practice - as mentioned by @levm too. In a couple of weeks we will therefore work on a brief explanation of every single of them, providing a bit more details and possible examples. Once we will publish it on the website, you will be able to click on every value and find out more about it.

For your info, all the folders and documents on Google Drive containing the word Principles have been renamed with Values.
If you are interested in the previous drafts, you can see a record of all of them on Google Docs.

Could we end a post without asking for your feedback?! Of course not! :slight_smile:
Please post a comment here and tell us what do you think. Are there values that aren’t clear? If yes, please suggest how would you rephrase them.

We look forward to your feedback!

Our Mission
Our mission is to empower citizens by fostering collaborative urbanism, promoting civic innovation and inspiring better civic engagement.

We are
Located: Local environments are our starting point.
Distributed: We are a distributed community based on a peer governance.
Open: We strongly believe that openness is the way to go.
Transparent: We share what we do, who we are and how we work.
Inclusive: Anyone aligned with our values can join the community.
Independent: We collaborate with like-minded organisations whilst keeping independent.

We believe in
Glocality: We leverage on global knowledge to promote local impact.
Open knowledge: We think collective knowledge is a commons.
Digital & Spatial: We think digitally and act spatially.
Long-term impact: We believe in long-term impact over short-term deals.
Collective Intelligence: We catalyze efforts to promote collaborative synergies.

hello everybody, seems to me a very good chart and a very good work of synthesis, so thank you very much.

about this quote I would like to say that maybe we could give priority to one of these two values.
I mean that the spatial action we promote are fostered by digital thinking (and that’s clear), but what we really empower are relationships within communities through digital tools and digital thinking.
the tool itself is not a value unless it allows us to carry out the action we have set ourselves, and the action can be achieved only if the community recognizes the value of the action itself and builds a sense, through building relationships within community itself.
that’s why I propose to give greater emphasis to the value of spatial action, and to introduce the concept of relationships (within spatial action)

so my proposal could be:
our tools are digital and our action and relationships are spatial

anyway i think that now is clear enough and this reflection could be included in the specific explanation that will focus every point of the chart.

Totally agree @FrancescoP. I like your suggestion a lot

I agree too with @FrancescoP

@FrancescoP I understand your point. I agree with the need to introduce the concept of relationships. I disagree with you about the meaning of “Digital”. For me Digital isn’t a tool. That’s exactly the point! What we want to express with this point is that “Digital is not a tool” but a dimension. Even a very important dimension in our reality. Take in account that dimension is something very important in the CivicWise identity.
To be clear, for me “think digitally” is a very different way to think, is an attitude. When we think Digitally doesn’t mean that we are thinking about digital tools. We can think digitally without using what we traditionally understand as a digital tool.
It’s why we have to give away the idea of Digital as a tool or just devices.
I also disagree with the idea that we have to prioritize the spatial action.
The spatiality is a part of reality.
Our mission is to improve and transform reality not just spatiality.
Again that’s the point.
The reality is Hybrid: Digital and Spatial. So if we want to improve our reality we have to act within both dimensions.

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.